Thursday, September 15, 2011

Interview of Ganesh Hegde


Ganesh Hegde

Pop star and musician Ganesh Hegde is best known for choreographing the song Babuji, his hit Main Deewana, and for sporting Dada shoes at every concert. The star spoke to us about his latest album, choreographing and mixing the music for SRK’s act at Star Screen Awards, his acting debut and his decision to pay more attention to his music career.

You choreographed, designed the set and mixed the music for Shah Rukh Khan’s act at the Star Screen Awards. How was the experience of working with him for the second time?
You have to mix your own tracks to be able to understand and choreograph a successful event based on a novel concept. Many people have said that the mixed versions of the songs are much better than the originals. As for the show, it was stupendous. Shah Rukh wanted the steps to be challenging and that’s what I gave him. He is a great actor and brings a lot of energy to every production. He has achieved superstardom because he treats every show like it’s his first.

Are you set for another ‘Temptations’ tour?
Nothing has been decided yet. There are some discussions going on, but nothing concrete has come off it so far. It will be a completely new show with Shah Rukh.

How’s work on your album shaping up?
My album is ready and should come out in April. We’re waiting to shoot the videos, but nothing has happened so far. Hopefully, everything will be on time.

What is the concept of this album, and what will it be called?
We haven’t thought of a name yet. But it’s better than my previous album. I’m sure everyone will enjoy it. If you liked Main Deewana, you will love a lot of the songs on this album. It’s the outcome of two years of hard work, so I’m hoping for the best.

What kind of response have you received from the industry?
A lot of people disapprove of my decision to take on less work. They say if you do good work, you should do more of it. But according to me, I work well because I do less work. Moreover, I believe in quality and people have been happy with my work so far. People liked the Mehbooba number from Ram Gopal Verma’s Sholay, which I had composed and choreographed.

Has any other director asked you to compose and choreograph?
Currently, I am putting all my energy into my album. I am taking on very little work, so there’s nothing to speak of right now. Besides, it is not necessary to have a choreographer who composes. I choreographed a song in Saawariya, but the song was already great. I can’t impose myself on a director and say that I want to do both.

There is a lot of competition among choreographers today. How do you keep yourself ahead of the game?
I’ve been taking on very little work as a choreographer. I am paying more attention to my music. And yes, I do practise my dance steps and think of ideas. I think competition is a very good thing; it keeps me on my feet.

Do you plan on doing a Himesh by becoming an actor?
When I did Main Deewana, a lot of people offered me film roles. But I didn’t think I was ready. I don’t do things for fame; I want to do good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment